In Catalonia, Spain’s Costa Dorada, Tarragona is a hidden treasure that presents a rich tapestry of the region’s past, present, and future. This coastal city, established by the Romans in the third century BC, is home to a variety of captivating tourist attractions. Whatever your interests—history, cuisine, or just a quiet beach vacation—Tarragona has something to offer.
What To See and Do in Tarragona
Tarragona’s Roman Heritage
Explore Tarragona’s Roman past to start your trip across the city, which has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. An amphitheater, a circus, and a necropolis are among the magnificent ruins found at the Roman Tarraco Archaeological Site. Don’t pass up the chance to stroll along the old city walls and take in the views of the Mediterranean.
Here are some of the best ways to enjoy Tarragona:
- Join a Free Walking Tour around the city. This tour takes you through the historic highlights of Tarragona. You can pay as much as you like for the tour. There is no minimum price, but a good tip is always appreciated.
- Book your Private Tour to enjoy the city history and tourist attractions deeply. If you are traveling with a group of friends or family, this is the best option to discover with a private guide for your group.
- If you want to enjoy and know more about Modernism architecture, you don’t need to travel to Barcelona. Tarragona is also home of Modernism architecture. You can discover it in a Modernism Guided Tour around Tarragona.
The magnificent Tarragona Cathedral, which was constructed between the 12th and the 14th centuries, is a work of art in both architecture and history. With its tall vaulted ceilings and elaborate stained glass windows, the interior is equally magnificent. For a bird’s eye perspective of the city, ascend to the bell tower’s summit.
You can get your tickets to enter the cathedral of Tarragona right here.
National Archaeological Museum of Tarragona
In this museum, you may immerse yourself in the city’s past thanks to the large collection of Roman antiquities, sculptures, and mosaics. It’s a great site to learn more about Tarragona’s extensive past. You can check all the information as well as buy your tickets at the their official website.
Balcony of the Mediterranean
From this scenic vantage point, take in stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. Tourists and locals alike frequent the area frequently, especially at dusk. Bring a camera so you may record the captivating moments. You can click right here to see the location on Google Maps.
PortAventura World, a premier theme park with exhilarating rides, family-friendly activities, and a water park, is only a short drive from Tarragona. All ages of tourists will find it to be the ideal day trip. PortAventura World contains three different theme parks: the attraction and rollercoasters focused PortAventura Park, the aquatic park Caribe Aquatic Park and for the adrenaline seekers, Ferrari Land. You can find all the information, prices and hours on the official website.
Where to Stay in Tarragona: the Best Hotels
- The central location of the new, luxurious Hotel SB Ciutat de Tarragona makes it simple to visit the city’s attractions. A rooftop pool, cozy lodgings, and a restaurant serving delectable regional cuisine are available to guests.
- The AC Hotel Tarragona by Marriott is a fantastic option because of the rooms’ modern, sleek decor and rooftop patio with amazing views. It is about 18 minutes walk to the beach and the Roman amphitheatre. It is located right behind the City Park and 4 minutes walk from the city’s main mall.
- The H10 Imperial Tarraco is a 4 stars hotel that offers guests breathtaking views of the Mediterranean thanks to its excellent location directly on the water. The hotel’s fine dining establishment, outdoor pool, and stylish rooms all contribute to a tranquil visit.
- Hotel Lauria: This beautiful hotel, located in the center of Tarragona’s old town, blends contemporary comforts with charming surroundings. It’s a great place to start your city walking explorations thanks to its central location and it is walking distance to the beach area.
Restaurants in Tarragona
- El Llagut: If you want to sample genuine Catalan seafood, you must go there. This rustic restaurant serves a delectable variety of fresh local seafood, including paella, grilled fish, and seafood rice dishes.
- Visit El Taller to sample cutting-edge Mediterranean food. This restaurant is a gourmet delight with a distinctive menu made with fresh, in-season ingredients. A wonderful method to explore a range of cuisines is the tasting menu. It is located next to the port of the city with a nice walk path right next to the sea.
- El Terrat, a Michelin-starred culinary gem nestled in the heart of Tarragona, is a gastronomic delight that stands as a testament to the city’s thriving culinary scene. With its innovative approach to Catalan cuisine, El Terrat delivers an exquisite dining experience that tantalizes the taste buds and pleases the senses.
In conclusion, for those looking for a varied and historical vacation, Tarragona provides the ideal fusion of history, culture, and natural beauty. Discover its Roman past, take in the breathtaking scenery, and savor delectable Catalan cuisine. Tarragona provides an exceptional experience on the Costa Dorada with a variety of hotels to suit every budget and eating alternatives to satisfy any appetite. So prepare to explore Tarragona’s marvels by packing your bags.